We enjoyed a good turnout for our 2024 Legislative Forum with Easterseals Massachusetts and Requipment on February 1. As usual, all of our State House legislators support services and rights for people with disabilities.
MWCIL Legislative Priorities (pdf) were presented by Sadie. David added with more information on housing priorities.
- Increase Independent Living Line Item 4120-2000 to $10 million
- Vote for S1553 and H2291 – An Act Building a More Accessible Massachusetts
- Support Low-income Accessible Housing
- Changes to the AHVP (Alternative Housing Voucher Program)
- Additional funding for HMLP (Home Modification Loan Program)
- Additional funding form CBH (Community Based Housing)
- Establish a commission for accessible Housing
- Support Regional Transit Authorities (RTA)
Easterseals Massachusetts updated everyone on the successes of the Navigator Program and asked for continued support. They also objected to cuts to Assistive Technology Programs.
REQuipment asked for the $500,000 that has supported their successful DME Reuse program. They also would like to get the funding annualized as a permanent line item.
Wini McGraw (MWCIL) advocated for H1168 and S726 to Protect the Homes of Seniors and Disabled People on MassHealth. Simply put, when someone over 55 on Medicaid passes away, the state looks to the person’s estate for repayment of Medicaid, often leaving spouses and family members without a home.
Legislators and Staff in attendance:
- Susan Nicholl – staff for Senator President Karen Spilka
- Senator Becca Rausch (remote)
- Representative Jack Lewis
- Representative David Linsky
- Representative Jeff Roy
- Representative Danielle Gregoire
- Representative Kate Hogan
- Representative Priscila Sousa
- Representative Kate Donaghue